Chili for a Chilly day
Hey all, sorry I’m a bit late, life got a little crazy (craycray, thank you Nora) and I lost my head in that positive, I’m doing the thing I love sort of way. I also learned how to Double Dutch, and I highly recommend you find two friends with two jumpropes RIGHT NOW and do it.
SURPRISINGLY RELEVANT THINGS I’VE LEARNED FROM DOUBLE DUTCHING:
- When you see an opening, you can’t walk in, you HAVE TO JUMP IN. Or else you miss your chance.
- Once you’re in, keep your speed up just as much as when you jumped in. Don’t get comfortable and don’t get lazy, or you trip yourself up…or just trip yourself.
- Don’t crouch because you think you’re going to get hit.
- Sometimes you just need to PLAY. With your whole body.
Along with this jump rope came a whole day of throwbacks: Block Parties, Vinyl, and Chili with cornbread.
“Oh my god this is vegan?” Chili with Best Cornbread Ever
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 chopped red bell peppers
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 massive portabella mushroom tops, cubed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 16 oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 16 oz cans kidney beans
- about 1 cup tomato sauce
- about 1 cup veggie broth
- In a large pot, saute the garlic, onions, and peppers on med-high. Add the mushrooms til everything is nice and cooked and smells yummy.
- Add all the spices and stir. Then, add the tomatoes (and their juices! Don’t drain the can!). Let bubble for a minute.
- Add DRAINED kidney beans, tomato sauce, and broth, and reduce to a simmer (little constant bubbles on the surface of the chili…will remind you a bit of lava) and let simmer for 20 mins, covered. *Can simmer for longer if needed!*
CORNBREAD! Okay, so I used Trader Joe’s mix. But it. was. so. good. I don’t even judge myself at all. And neither did the people who finished it in under 10 minutes. For the cornbread, follow the instructions on the back of the box…except REPLACE the milk with Vanilla soy milk (I used Vanilla hemp milk which was rockin!) and replace the egg with 1/2 a mashed banana (I happened to be in a kitchen that had arrowroot, so I did 1/4 mashed banana and 1 tsp arrowroot). Mix and Bake as said on box.
Serve in a lil bowl with vegan cheese and a square of cornbread.
Now revel in how awesome life is.